Artificial Intelligence, or AI, has gained more popularity nowadays as the demand for computing storage, power, data, and algorithms has increased. The possibility of making machines learn and perform human-like activities is an example of Artificial Intelligence. Whether it is a self-driving vehicle or a chess-playing computer, the ability for the machines to adjust or adapt to new inputs and recognize patterns is a by-product of Artificial Intelligence.
The term Artificial Intelligence was first coined in 1956 as previous studies delved more into problem-solving and other computing methods. However, the US Department of Defense became so enthralled on this type of subject that it rolled out a program to train computers to imitate the human’s capacity for reasoning. One solid example of this was the US Defense Advanced Research Projects Agency (DARPA), when it finished street mapping projects in the 1970s. In 2003, DARPA came up with smart personal assistants. These personal assistants came out before other Artificial Intelligence-assisted machines like Alexa, Cortana, and Siri.
The automation and reason of machines nowadays, along with their capabilities to search and decide, is the work of Artificial Intelligence.
The people learn about AI or have become more aware of its existence and future as human-like robots that are seen to rule the world are commonly featured in Hollywood flicks and science fiction literature.
“Artificial intelligence is not a system, but it is implemented in the system. Generally speaking it is an umbrella term used for a branch of computer science. It stands for the ability to acquire and apply knowledge, and perform naturally like a human. For example, planning, problem-solving and reasoning,” said tech-writer Krista Bodniece.
“While machine learning is a learning technique where machines can learn from huge data sets. ML is used within AI algorithms. It is simply a time-saving way to achieve AI. Of course, AI can be reached without ML, but it requires a lot of coding for decision trees,” Bodniece wrote.
The development of Artificial intelligence important has been so urgent nowadays as the demand for products and outputs in most industries has grown rapidly worldwide.
Artificial Intelligence has made it possible for a machine to do frequent and large-volume computerized tasks. It can deliver repetitive discovery and learning via the processed and introduced data. Artificial Intelligence can do the job without any trace of weariness and unreliability.
Many of the products used by people nowadays are equipped with Artificial Intelligence. These products include smart cameras, workplace and home security intelligence, and other products that feature bots, conversational platforms, automation, cyber security, and analytics solutions, among other technological improvements.
By progressively learning the algorithms, Artificial Intelligence automatically adapts to the regularities and structures in data that it can match or get the skills the users want.
Humanity has benefitted a lot with the advent of Artificial Intelligence and other remote-controlled devices. The capabilities of Artificial Intelligence from natural language processing, optimization, computer vision, forecasting, and machine learning have contributed solutions to the many challenges in the world. Artificial Intelligence contributed much to improving the operational performance of the machines and industries from healthcare, retail, manufacturing, and banking, among others.
In the healthcare industry, Artificial Intelligence helped and empowered medical practitioners to arrive with more accurate diagnostics and prevention. It can also optimize the hospital staff and resources. Robots can even turn to helpers in dressing up differently-abled people in the hospital.
Artificial Intelligence aided customers in their virtual shopping as it offers personalized shopping experience coupled with recommendation and buying or payment options in the retail industry.
In the manufacturing industry, artificial intelligence is also behind data analysis as it goes through a piece of connected equipment. It can help predict the demand and load of the products manufactured by a company.
While on banking and financial institutions, Artificial Intelligence helped enhance the banking service, providing swift and precise performance than a human response. It can detect fraudulent activities and deliver precise and fast credit scoring.
“Today we help customers in every industry capitalize on advancements in AI, and we’ll continue embedding AI technologies like machine learning and deep learning in solutions across the SAS portfolio,” said Jim Goodnight, CEO of analytics powerhouse SAS.
“AI has been an integral part of SAS software for years,” added Goodnight as their industry weighed in on the development of Artificial Intelligence.
On the other hand, other tech experts have also seen the disadvantages of Artificial intelligence.
“AI offers unscrupulous businesses the opportunity to make incredible money off us by just playing to our worst instincts,” said NBC News Technology correspondent Jacob Ward in his new book “The Loop”.
The author also warned that companies are “deploying these pattern recognition systems to figure out what you and I are going to do next…the capacity for manipulation and even predatory tactics is enormous.”
Some fascinating facts about Artificial Intelligence
- According to various researches, there are more male employees (at least 71 percent) in Artificial Intelligence-related works than females.
- Animal welfare researcher Dr Jean-Loup Rault said that by 2025 we are most likely to have robot pets.
- Google CEO Sundar Pichai said that Artificial Intelligence is one of the most important breakthroughs humanity is working at present.
- Researchers at the University of Stanford have built a machine learning algorithm that can foretell a person’s death with 90 percent accuracy.
- Self-learning supercomputer Nautilus can predict a person’s future.
- Through Artificial Intelligence, the Microsoft translation system’s machines could translate a news article from Chine to English in human-level quality and accuracy.
- In 1965, Carl Djerassi became one of the first few to create an Artificial Intelligence program.
- A 2017 study done by AI Statista disclosed that as many as 84 percent of business groups across the globe believe that Artificial Intelligence will give them a competitive edge.
- According to World Health Organization, an algorithm detected the Ebola outbreak a week before it was announced.
- At MIT, researchers have designed an algorithm that can detect depression.
- DeepMind’s Artificial Intelligence can identify more than 50 eye diseases as accurately as any optometrist.
- Other successful movies like Disney’s Finding Dory” used Artificial Intelligence to improve film quality and enhance the viewer experience.
- According to three Chinese researchers, Google’s Artificial Intelligence is much smarter than Siri’s.
- As many as 69 percent of business organizations believe AI is imperative to solve cyberattacks.
- At least 97 percent of smartphone users have already used or are using Artificial Intelligence-powered voice assistants.
- A Pew Research study in 2017 showed that about 46 percent of Americans use voice assistants to interact with their mobile phones or other devices.